What is Camlistore?
- a way to store, sync, share, model and back up content
- a work in progress
- Open Source (Apache licensed)
- an acronym for "Content-Addressable Multi-Layer Indexed Storage", hinting that Camlistore is about:
- your "home directory for the web"
- pro-JSON (yet aggressively format agnostic)
- pro-OpenPGP (for signing claims)
- pro-paranoia and privacy
- ambitious, but ...
- programming language-agnostic (parts and different implementations in Go, Python, Java, Perl, Bash, ... the language doesn't matter.) What matters is well-defined, simple HTTP interfaces.
- neither "Cloud" nor "Local". happily both.
- a "20% project" from a few Google employees, but not Google-centric nor endorsed by Google (other than them letting us open source our side project)
- ready for developers (at least those without strong color preferences)
|All donations help fund full-time Camlistore developers (but not Brad or other Google employees)|
- not yet ready for users
- not a typical peer-to-peer system or DHT
- not (yet?) a "MySQL alternative"
- not necessarily a product in itself (e.g., not Drupal)
- not necessarily a replacement for S3-like storage
There's also this older presentation.